Thursday, February 10, 2011

Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome!

So I finally did it… I finally started a blog to share my couponing adventures!  Over the past year, I’ve had so many people ask me “how do you do that?” or “where do you find your coupons?”  In this blog, I’ll offer the information that I have received, I am still receiving and I am constantly on the lookout for!  I hope that this information helps people discover the joys of couponing – something that I SHOULD have discovered a long time ago!

I’m also going to use this blog as a place to share our experiences while raising our children.  We are a blended family of four.  Cody and I were both very young when we had children.  Cody was 17 and after some time with Dakota’s mother, they decided they were not compatible in a relationship and parted ways.  I was 2 weeks shy of 19 when I had Gabby and just like Cody story, Gabby’s father and I decided we weren’t compatible in a romantic relationship and were better off as friends.  We parted ways when Gabby was 2.  Both parents are still active in Gabby and Dakota’s lives. 

Here’s a little background:

Gabby
In December of 1999, three months after I had turned 18, I found out that I was pregnant.  That was one of the happiest and scariest days of my life.  I was a senior in high school and I was failing all of my classes.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with my life until the day I saw those two pink lines.  At that moment, I knew that I had something to live for.  On August 27, 2000 at 8:29pm, we welcomed a beautiful 8 lb 13.8 oz baby girl.  Gabrielle Elizabeth changed my life for ever. 
 
She is now 10 years old and turning into quite the young lady.  She has gotten to the point where we can carry on conversations with her without having to dumb things down.  Gabby definitely lives up to her name though – she will talk your ear off if you give her the chance!  She’s also very funny and is constantly cracking little jokes and showing her wit.  
Gabby is currently on a recreation league basketball team and also plays trumpet in the 5th grade band.  She wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up and plans on going to KU so she can live in Lawrence, drive a VW and hang out on Mass Street.



Dakota
I met Dakota in the summer of 2003.  Cody’s mom brought him to Wichita for his 1 week visitation.  Dakota was 1 ½ at the time.  The first time I met him, I was so intrigued by his beautiful big blue eyes!  I mean, his eyes are AMAZING.  Check ‘em out!! 
  
  
In June of 2006, we got residential custody of Dakota.  We enrolled him in pre kindergarten and helped him to settle in.  That’s when we noticed that things just weren’t “right” with him.  His temper, his attitude, his picky eating, his quirks to name a few.  We chalked it up to him being a typical 4 ½ year old boy and the transition from his first home to our home.  When he started pre k, his teacher noticed these things too and that’s when we decided to take him to the doctor.  After checking him out, the doctor said that she would like to put him on an ADHD medication.  That seemed to calm things down a bit but he was still a very… active child.  The next school year, we took him to a therapist and had him actually tested for ADHD.  He sat down to take the test and about half an hour later, he and the doctor came in.  I remember this day because it was kind of funny how excited he was about this test.  He said “Mom! Dad!  I got a 99.9% on the test!!”  Hehe… that 99.9% meant that he tested 99.9% positive for ADHD.   
After trying several different medications and different combinations of medications, his doctor has now diagnosed him with bipolar disorder too.  The medications combo he’s on now seems to be working pretty well but we definitely have our good days and bad days.
Dakota is a very smart, funny and imaginative little boy.  He loves to build very intricate ships out of Legos and LOOOOOOOOVES his DS.  And, he still has those gorgeous blue eyes!!


So yeah… that’s us!  Well, that’s the kids anyway.  Sometime, I’ll post about how Cody and I met and the courtship that followed.  That's always a fun story to tell!  

:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment